Thursday, January 22, 2004

Last night in devos, I stumbled across a really cool verse. Unfortunately, we were discussing something else at the time (not a bad subject though mind you) so I book marked it for a time. As soon as I got back to my room I curled up in my desk chair and pondered my discovery. In trying to explain what I'd found amazing to Amanda, I discovered more to the passage than I'd originally thought.
Luke 20 opens with a question from the church leaders directed to Jesus, "Who gave you this authority?" He answers by asking who gave John authority. Disliking this question they copped out. So Jesus goes on to tell a rather obvious parable. He uses the vineyard metaphor that the church elders would without a doubt understand the subject of his story. A man plants a vineyard then goes away for a long time. At harvest time he sends servant after servant to the tenants to attempt to collect the fruit. Each man came back beaten and empty-handed. Finally the man says, "I will send my son, whom I love; perhaps they will respect him." But, no the tenants not only rejected the son but went so far as to kill him. Jesus' audience, not being completely dumb were horrified at the thought and said no, "May this never be!”
Once again it’s a case of people building up in their own mind a picture of the way God is going to work in their lives, or a way of how He will carry out His plans. Jesus' response to them was to quote the verses, "The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone." He follows it with these words, "Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed." (Luke 20:17-18)
Jesus is the capstone of the new covenant. Whoever comes to be saved will be broken. Broken of preconceived notions on what God will do. Broken of old mindsets and heart attitudes. It reminds me of a story Lisl told me this morning when I was pretending to snore. Those who wish to be cured of snoring have to undergo surgery and have their nose broken and reset. It’s kind of like that. We've grown crooked our whole lives and when we come to be healed and reconciled to God the only way to heal is to break our old selves and reset them properly.
Amanda put it well when she said, "Its better to be broken by hands that love you than to be crushed to smithereens and condemned to hell"
Sometimes I get comfortable and don't ask, "Where do I need to be broken? Where do I need to grow most? How does my faith and relationship with God fit with the reality of God, and what needs changing?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home